Frequently Asked Questions

A land title, or certificate of title, is a legal document issued under the Torrens System of Title showing ownership and interest in a parcel of land. It includes the legal description of a piece of land and the names of the owner. When you buy a property the title must officially transfer from one owner to another. Settlement cannot be effected until the individual lot has a separate certificate of title.

This is the final stage of the sale when the buyer completes the payment of the contract price to the seller and takes legal possession of the property. It is at this point that you will start making mortgage payments.

A settlement agent(sometimes called a conveyancer) is the person who organises the transfer of title from one owner to another. They are involved in the preparation, execution, verification and lodgement of numerous legal documents required to transfer the ownership.

These days it is very common for homesites to be sold ‘off-the-plan’ especially in areas of high demand. This means the lot you are buying may not yet be developed. You may be able to view maps showing the area, lot and proposed streets but it may be several months before the final construction of the lot is complete and a separate certificate of title is issued so you can settle and start building on your new homesite.

These are generally rules or design guidelines that guide what and how you can build on your new homesite. The covenants cover things such as minimum building area, types of materials to be used in the construction, landscaping, location of solar cells and air conditioners. The covenants are designed to upkeep the aesthetics and streetscape ensuring that your community will be attractive into the future.

BAL is the term used to identify the “Bushfire Attack Level” and determines the type of construction required within bushfire prone areas. The aim of this Australian Standard is to improve the ability of a building to withstand a bushfire attack. This will provide greater protection for the occupants who may be sheltering in it while the fire front passes. It also increases the chances of the building surviving.

The BAL takes into consideration a number of factors including the Fire Danger Index, the slope of the land, types of surrounding vegetation and its proximity to any building.

In land use, a setback is the distance which a building or other structure is set back from a street or road, or any other place which is deemed to need protection. Setback rules are different in each development and may also differ among properties within an estate. Setbacks can affect where your new home is located on your lot and where sheds, garages pools and gazebos may be built.

A lot size of more than 450sqm is generally considered to be a traditional size lot and is often the choice of families who would like plenty of outdoor living space for a pool, entertaining areas or gardens.

Cottage lots are generally smaller, around 350sqm and suit people looking for low maintenance, easy-care homesites or where lock-up and leave is desirable and are well suited to retirees, small families, downsizers and first home buyers.

This is a homesite where the garage is built at the back of the property with access usually by a laneway and is common for smaller lots or where they may front onto a parkland or similar.